Roja Muthiah Research Library (RMRL) plays a pivotal role in preserving 300 years of Tamil print heritage. It holds a unique collection of rare imprints and is one of the largest repositories of Tamil print literature in the world.
RMRL has been involved in the preservation and conservation of print material for the past 27 years. The library preserves through microfilming and digitisation. This is ongoing work.
The library is funded by project funds. However, the funding is inadequate to drive the preservation initiative. This is the underlying need for “Adopt a Book“.
By Adopting a Book, you make a contribution that will help us digitise the book at high standards and physically conserve it using internationally accepted methods, namely de-acidification and strengthening using Japanese tissue paper. The book will also be placed in a non-acidic paper jacket.
How do I adopt a book?
- You can choose a book(s) from our catalogue or the list included and type the accession number(s) in the form below.
- You will be directed to contribute towards the preservation through our payment link.
- After you have completed the payment, we will send a confirmation e-mail. Financial contributions are exempt from income tax under section 80G of the IT Act. The confirmation email will also outline a timeline for digitisation of the book that you have saved.
- After completion of digitisation and conservation, the information will be updated in our website.
- For international donors or anyone having issues with the form, please write an e-mail to email@example.com with the accession numbers corresponding to the books you would like to adopt and we will reply with our bank details
How to choose the book?
- You can search for a specific book of interest in the catalogue
- You can browse through the list of sample rare books given here. A basic description of each book is given along with the year of publication.
- If you are interested in a specific category, feel free to mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you with information about holdings in that category.
- You are also welcome to visit the Library to see the collection.
How much does it cost?
- Rs.5000/- for adopting a single book.
How will the support be acknowledged?
- Your name/institution will be mentioned in the jacket/bookcase of the conserved book, along with a customized message or dedication of your choice.
- Your name and message will be added under your book within our library catalogue.
- Support will be acknowledged in our Annual Report.